Is Rap Music Disrespectful Towards Women?

Visit my Indiegogo campaign page: http://igg.me/at/nwa

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NWACriticalAnalysis?ref=hl

Here is a new updAate video for my new documentary “Niggaz Wit Attitudes ~ A Critical Analysis”. In this video I share my final word counts for all 4 NWA albums. I also speak on various topics including how NWA promoted dysfunctional Male/female relationships, sexual promiscuity, black self hate, and the extreme disrespect of black women. Strong language and themes are spoken about in this video. Viewer discretion is advised.

The purpose of my documentary is to analyze the lyrical content of N.W.A and outline the keywords and phrases that are used and to determine how people were influenced or programmed while listening to NWA. Here are the most frequently used words that are repeated the most on all 4 NWA albums:

(553) Disrespect of Black women
(134) Shit
(96) Dick/Tip
(93) Reference to guns
(91) Disrespect of other rappers
(88) General violence against black men
(87) Drugs
(86) Fuck (reference to sex)
(86) Alcohol
(31) General violence against black women
(20) Drunk
(20) Violence against the police
(11) Murder of females by NWA members
(10) Murder of Males by NWA members
(10) Police violence against black men
(7) Ass (female buttocks)
(6) High
(5) Sexual Assaults
(4) Prostitution
(4) Balls/Testicles
(3) Sexual assaults against women ~ (1) Gang Rape ~ (1) Oral Rape
(3) Slutty
(2) Sexual assaults against men
(2) Police violence against black women
(1) Sexual Assault against men

The Dozens is a game of spoken words between two contestants, common in Black communities of the United States, where participants insult each other until one gives up. It is customary for the Dozens to be played in front of an audience of bystanders, who encourage the participants to reply with more egregious insults to heighten the tension and, consequently, to be more interesting to watch. Among African Americans it is also known as “roasting”, “capping”, “clowning”, “ranking”, “ragging”, “sounding”, “joning”, “woofing”, “wolfing”, “sigging”, or “signifying”, while the insults themselves are known as “snaps”.

Comments in the game focus on the opposite player’s intelligence, appearance, competency, social status, financial situation, and disparaging remarks about the other player’s family members—mothers in particular (“yo′ mama…”)—are common. Commentary is often related to sexual issues, where the game is then referred to as the “Dirty Dozens”.

According to sociologist Harry Lefever and journalist John Leland, the game is almost exclusive to African Americans. Both males and females participate, but the game is more commonly played among males of varying social status.

Several theories have been put forth to explain why the game was developed. One hypothesis from 1939 suggests that the game formed as a way for African Americans to express aggression in an oppressive society that severely punished such displays against whites. Another theory from 1962 highlights how the game’s focus on one’s opponent’s mother is a reflection of the dominance of females in African-American families and how young males may feel rejected by females and react accordingly.

N.W.A (an abbreviation of Niggaz Wit Attitudes] was an American hip hop group from Compton, California that is widely considered to have been among the earliest and most significant popularizers of the gangsta rap and West Coast hip hop subgenres while also being credited by many as one of the seminal groups in the history of hip hop music. Active from 1986 to 1991, the rap group endured controversy owing to their music’s explicit lyrics that many viewed as being disrespectful of women, as well as its glorification of drugs, and crime. The group was subsequently banned from many mainstream American radio stations. In spite of this, the group has sold over 10 million units in the United States alone. The group was also known for their deep hatred of the police system, which sparked much controversy over the years.

The original lineup consisted of Arabian Prince, DJ Yella, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, and Ice Cube. MC Ren joined in 1988, with Arabian Prince leaving the group later that same year.

• ExistentialistDipshit fromtheinternet

I don’t think it is limited to just rap music i think the media in general
    encourages the disrespect of women , men and encourages poor relationships
    based on materialism

• Danny ™

Extremely disrespectful towards women. Even alot of the songs that are
    supposed to be geared towards “the ladies” or the so-called “romantic”
    tracks are, lowkey, demeaning to women.

I recently did a cleansing of my music library. I used to own about 2,000+
    songs, alot of them being hip hop. But, in an effort to eliminate things
    from my life that no longer represent my progression as a man, I decided to
    let go of any music that goes against my current mindset.

Going through all my hip hop, about 85% of it was absolutely foul,
    including some of the tracks I used to consider “conscious” or “the good
    hip hop”.

What I also noticed was the hip hop tracks I used to think were the “soft”
    tracks or “for the ladies” were just as bad. Songs like 50 Cent’s “21
    Questions”, Snoop Dogg’s “Beautiful”, Ja Rule’s “Always On Time”… I had
    never taken the time to analyze the lyrics of these songs and others.

The general theme was always the rapper speaking to this one particular
    woman who is his supposed “love”, but only as long as she is cool with him
    having other women on the side. There was also many of instances of the
    rapper comparing the loyalty of a woman to how willing she is to do illegal
    activities for him, such as cooking crack cocaine or riding with him during
    a driveby, etc. Lyrics where a rapper would brag about keeping a woman in
    her place through the use of drugs and alcohol. Also, many lowkey
    references to physical abuse on top of blatant verbal abuse with the
    rappers calling these women they claim to love derogatory names.

All this, usually, with an R&B singer singing a pleasant hook that did not
    match the rapper’s lyrics. Almost deceitful, in a way.

• Rosalinda Wijks

+Danny ™ Spot on! It’s a relieve for me as a black woman to finally see
      black men openly rejecting misogyny by other black men and also in hiphop.
      I guess I could say: Better late then never. (Yes, there are exceptions, I
      know)

• onlyalisa W

I agree with you the verbal abuse we have towards each other in our
    community gets worse with each passing decade.. To answer your question
    “yes Rap music is disrespectful towards women & men , I myself never fully
    embraced the culture because of the name calling & degrading. I liked
    certain rap artist growing up: LL, Heavy D, Salt&Pepper,, more bubblegum
    type rap,, I was big fan of Tupac ,,, why,,, he didn’t degrade women like
    some of the others…

• Danny ™

+onlyalisa W

Tupac, as a music artist, was awful.

After he left the group Strictly Dope and joined Digital Underground, his
      lyrical content went down drastically.

I’m speaking on this only because I used to be a huge Tupac fan because of
      his Black Panther roots and understanding how he cleverly took on the fake
      gangsta image to try and sneak in a positive, pro black message into his
      music in between all the other madness he put out.

But, really analyzing his body of work unbiasedly like I did recently, I
      realized just how negative and destructive his music really was.

The majority of his music was violent, profane-laced, and put the worst
      aspects of black culture on a pedestal.

Then you have the few tracks that were “positive” such as Keep Ya Head Up,
      Dear Mama, Brenda’s Got A Baby, Words Of Wisdom..

I would argue that outside of Keep Ya Head Up, all of the other tracks by
      Tupac people perceive as positive all push victim mentality, negative
      existence and depression.

Go back and listen to these songs. There is nothing positive about them. We
      just perceive the idea of him painting the picture of a bad situation as
      positive.

These songs were more like rhythmic chants of negativity rather than
      uplifting.

• neonspec

+onlyalisa W I sort of disagree that Tupac didn’t degrade women. The thing
      with Tupac is that he almost had a split personality wherein he could make
      beautiful, uplifting songs 1 minute and thugged out, degrading music the
      next. For every “Hey Mama” there’s a “Hit ’em up”.

The common defense that Tupac himself used was that he made different kinds
      of songs like that because sticking to strictly “positive” or “negative”
      topics is irresponsible. While I do agree with him on that, the manner in
      which he presented negative subject matter within his content was often a
      glamorization of that negative content e.g. egotism, thug life etc.

• kimmy ware

Towards both men and women but society really focuses on women and put’s
    them on Blast, with sexual behavior on almost every commercial, movie’s etc
    Rap is very disrespectful towards women, not thinking about, every women
    they are talking about is a mother, grandmother, aunt, and its even the
    guys mother who rap’s the lyric’s. Does the rapper overstand that he is
    talking about his mom and grandma to.

• Hailian Dorado

The answer for “Is rap music disrespectful towards women” is no because you
    can’t categorize a whole genre of music to something like that. Maybe the
    majority of rap music is disrespectful towards women but the answer is
    still no. The saying goes ” a rotten apple spoils the barrel” but you
    really shouldn’t think that way about anything but you should always be
    aware.

• David Middleman

+InfiniteAnathesis if this girl is suckin on everyone in the club why
      should any of them respect her and value her for more than a sucking?

• InfiniteAnathesis

+David Middleman LOL, that’s the oldest excuse in the books. 99.9 percent
      of Trap Rap Music involves rappers talking about “bitches” and “hoes” but
      at the same time this is the type of women these rappers lust for. If your
      going to spend the whole time talking about women you hate but at the same
      have “relationships” with them while saying you respect and want a real
      women sounds very dumb to me. A reasonable person surrounds himself with
      positive people so he/she can uplift themselves and express that feeling.

• xtremeone4

+Danny Inc. it’s interesting… But I feel that if music can be poison to
    your sub concious, then maybe it’s just that some are more prone to being
    programmed from this stuff more so than others, I listened to a lot of
    vulgarity but I don’t feel I took much influence from at least the majority
    of it and used it in my actual life. It could be that I was listening to
    People like Common as much as I listened to NWA and 2 live crew as much as
    I listened to Talib Kweli. Do you think the re-programming is more
    detrimental to those who only listen to one type of content? Therefore
    unknowingly adopting those messages because their playlist just isn’t
    diverse enough. Because honestly when I listened to NWA as a 12 year old I
    enjoyed it for its production and the flows mostly. But, I didn’t look at
    them as being true to what they’re saying , because if they were , surely
    they’d be in jail for killing all those hookers right? That for me wrapped
    it up as entertainment for me.

• Danny ™

There may be some validity in that. Certain people may be more prone to
      subconcious manipulation than others.

Mind you, that does not make the music any less negative and any less
      disrespectful.

I also grew up listening to a diverse range of music. Hip hop has never
      been my only musical indulgence and it wasn’t even my first.

But, regardless.. I believe, as a man, you eventually reach a certain point
      in your life where you feel the need to take full control of your life and
      your surroundings and you want these things to match up with your inner
      self.. everything around you being a reflection of who you are.

I am there.

No, I never sold drugs. No, I never hit a woman. No, I never shot anyone.
      No, I’ve never called a woman out of her name. No, I never felt extreme
      depression.

But I did listen to music that projected and encouraged all these things
      and other things that do not represent me as a man or where I want to be.

And that is the point for me. Letting go of things that do not reflect my
      morals, standards, and general walk in life. And hip hop, to a large
      degree, is in opposition of the man I am becoming.

• xtremeone4

So I never took what they said seriously due to that so Then when I would
      listen to say, The Roots or something, instantly my mind would process that
      as a complete different type or music to NWA… Because these guys are
      actually sounding like they may have some meaning for me to go by. I
      couldn’t take NWA serious, so maybe they could be enjoyed by someone like
      me without being detrimentally harmful to me? (Because I accept maybe
      subtle small things may have had some influence) but for the most part,..
      Nope. Maybe my development was different to most kids around me, since my
      musical taste was so diverse that I couldn’t be influenced by NWAs words
      because I would enjoy somebody else’s music that clearly had a message
      contradicting NWAs. Do you think it’s only certain people at high risk to
      this re-programming of the conscious ?? I.e: Listens to only NWA and has
      neglectful parents to not guide em?

• Lawrence Jones

Hippy-Hoppy (spelling and satire done with strong malice and intent) is
    disrespectful to women. HOW? The degrading name calling, taring at
    self-esteem, and blatant self-hatred destroy’s the intend object of focus
    -black women. One most be blind, deaf, and stupid to think it does other
    wise.